Viewing Topic: West Hill and LMB! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckc wrote:
billybass wrote:
There is no creel limit,,,and no protected slot limit
for bass there...

There is a 6 fish, 12 inch on bass at every body of water in CT except for bass management lakes. You should read the anglers guide before misinforming people about state laws.

Hi chuckc!

Oops! Your right!
Why the creel limit and slot size for bass isn't listed under WH can be confusing.

Thanks for the correction!

SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT? I had to pipe in on this one. you cant blame anybody on dropping fish into a lake, think about it like Chuck said, you can find bass in a puddle, mother nature has a way of making things happen, if it were snakeheads then I would agree,
billybass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckc........you are right i apoligize
this topic had me venting a little to fast
Stratos17

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments here are not to offend anyone. Just stating my opinion. Trout fishing has a place and so does bass fishing, in the water!

The water belongs to all of us who can fish it.

I dont eat fish, therefore dont fish for trout, often. When I do...catch & release

I used to pheasant hunt also, don't do that anymore either. Hunters fighting over a stocked chicken..please

I am not a "pay,put & take" sportsman. If I want to hunt pheasants i'll go to South Dakota. If i want to fish for trout go to Vermont and catch native brookies.
That is just how it is for me.

Besides who wants to catch a fish that you cant lip, throw in a livewell. Put it in a bag to weigh and then release for someone else to catch again!! try that on a 2 lb. rainbow, or find that on TV.

I dont know maybe I'm just sick of paying so damn much for a fishing license. The state does so little for my kind of fishing. Just pisses me off
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Just to stir the pot! Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

Stratos17 wrote:

Besides who wants to catch a fish that you cant lip, throw in a livewell. Put it in a bag to weigh and then release for someone else to catch again!! try that on a 2 lb. rainbow, or find that on TV.

[quote="SeaDog1']
Besides who wants to eat a fish (LMB) that has one of the highest toxin level of any freshwater fish and tastes like the warm water it came out of Exclamation Very Happy -> Proven fact that coldwater fish taste better! -> Ask McDonalds or Long John Silver LOL Very Happy [/quote]

As for catch and release -> All credit due and given to the Bass fishermen!
"BUT" Trout and Salmon fishermen have been doing that far longer than bass fishermen and ---> WHY? Tramatize a poor fish more by throwing it into a livewell then bagging it when you can release it immediately right where you caught it "after taking a picture".
Oh! And after you've yanked the poor Bass off its breeding nest are you going to take it all the way back to where you caught it to let it resume guarding its nest to make more little bass Question

Bass Masters isn't the only fishing show on TV Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Saltwater example: -> Marlin and Sailfish fishermen do it all the time! (Catch -> Take picture -> Release where caught). Smile

Just a friendly give and take - stir the pot controversy Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good fishing Guys!
Best regards,
SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Awwww! Come on guys -> Are you going to let Me and Stratos17 have all the fun Exclamation

We're into the Doldrums right now -> Rivers and streams running too fast and high, water temps still too cold, fish not quite ready to spawn.

I thought maybe a lttile good natured controversy would liven things up till Opening Day Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Here we go, first of all on catch and release BASS are caught and released more than any other species.McDonalds do not put any freshwater fish in their fish meals, Granted LongJohns does have a salmon dinner and a talapia that is it, As for BASS being taken from beds, studies have confirmed that BASS will still spawn when released. BASSMASTERS is not the only fish show on tv but it is the MOST WATCHED, ask ESPN. I have talked to an elder friend of mine that lives on WH, I had mentioned to him what is being said on this sight and he told me its a bunch of crap, He is 74 years old and has been fishing there for 30 years, He told me that that area is a trout loved community, people are getting upset because more BASS tournys are taking place there and these guys in their little boats are getting upset because the parking is getting tighter, He also told me he has been catching bass there for all that time, He told me that there are some freakin monsters in there, and they bed next to his dock.He is a BASS fisherman, and he told me he is surprised that there isnt more BASS tournys on WH. MMMMMMMMM could this be the next big bass lake. I also talked to a local bait shop up there, and they told me theres been bass in there since sliced bread. It also turned into a very interesting conversation!!!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Horray! flippy I knew you'd come to the rescue Exclamation

OK! Deal is on this controversy is you "CAN NOT USE ANY" of the 7 dirty words as George Carlin use to say. (Rest in peace George).
So flippy the word cr-p is out!

Hmmmm? Where to start -> Oh I know!
Historic Fact: -> LMB were originally found only east of the Mississippi and south of the Great Lakes.
Now they are found across the nation starting in the very late 1800's and YES! due to the "Bucket Biologists" who seeded them across the nation.
Also trout where seeded this way even earlier before fisheries biology was introduced!
People back then really didn't know if they were doing a good thing or not!

Fact: ->There are 2 LMB strains -> The Florida strain that grows big but is less aggressive, and the Northern strain that grows much slower but is more aggressive!

Bass fishing as it is today, took off in the 1940's with Franklin Roosevelt.
Yep! Old FDR was a big bass fisherman probably because he couldn't fish trout streams in a wheelchair.
There's some spectulation that part of his huge TVA project was to produce impoundments that would hold bass for recreational fishing.
Isn't that nice Exclamation

The whole bass competition thing didn't really get going till the 1950's yet grew and grew till it is where it's at today.
Note: -> Trout and Salmon fishing where in full swing long long before bass fishing became popular!

As far as WH is concerned -> flippy we'll have to do some research on that and find someone older than 74 Exclamation LOL Very Happy
Hmmmm? Guess I'll have to hit Goggle or the old library for this one! Very Happy
Yes! There are some big bass in WH, but the population is small because of the lack of weed beds and low feed supply.

As for WH becoming the next big LMB pond -> "NOPE! Never Can Be:!:" mostly because of the above and lack of shallows for breeding.
The LMB that are in there now are the luck ones that didn't get eaten by the Brown trout which are known to be cannibals and feed on anything smaller them themselves. By-BY baby Bass and baby Bluegills!
The pond as I said is primarily 1 of 4 deep cold water ponds in CT. and will remain as a coldwater fishery! (Per DEP and Ct. Fishery Biology Dept.)

Fact: -> LMB (other than for personal consumption) are banned from being sold or served at resturants!
WHY! -> Because they are quite high in toxins (They'll eat anything that they can get into their mouths) and really aren't the best tasting fish.
(Tried them once and had to use a 1/2 bottle of tobasco sauce to kill the taste -> Didn't want to offend my Cajun friend! LOL Very Happy )

Oh! FYI: -> The "maximum speed limit" on WH - YEAR ROUND is 15 mph and 6 mph from sunset to sunrise.
Also the HP. is only 8 hp from Memorial Day to Sept. 15th.
All this is in the Ct. Angler's Guide Exclamation
So there won't be ANY running of the high HP Skeeters and Trackers on WH!

OK! NEXT Exclamation Very Happy

This should be fun and informative! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as for the crap word your right He said sh$%. as for the horsepower limit on WH ya its 8 hp, so I plan on holding a tourny there this year from tin boats since most guys i know that want to fish but only have 12ft boats this would be perfect, I am going to plan this tourny for 3 largemouth and 3 trout, Bass will belong to tourny people which we will release and trout will be left upon angler. Since they are good eatin. I love using my 8 inch trout swimbait and watching shadows underneath it, Bass dont need weeds they will adapt to other structure to survive, and yes there are weeds at WH. plus docks, fallen trees, chunk rock, its a heaven for them. never mind the structures that the boy scouts made, (bet you never knew that) and get this its for bass Laughing

Last edited by flippy on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Good show flippy!
I'm really not into tourneys but one at WH is one I might enjoy as I know that pond like the back of my hand Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy
Keep me posted!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
JESTERJACKSON

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen bass in West Hill!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I can't wait until the 18th.

I'm sure money and energy had nothing to do with the TVA...that was definitely about FDR's hankering for bass fishing. He was always envious of his distant cousin Teddy's conservationist ways. Forgive the sarcasm. I couldn't help it.

This has been a lively discussion and a lot of fun to read! I am primarily a bass fisherman now but love fishing for trout in rivers and streams. It's always funny as hell to watch bass fisherman and fly/trout fisherman try to one up each other. The simple fact is, both groups are hard core conservationists and together help keep our rivers and streams healthier than they would be otherwise.

As far as TV goes, I can tell you this...for whatever reason, fly fishing and trout shows don't rate well at all. I personally love them and don't understand why - especially because of the gorgeous places it's done. I've worked in outdoors television for a while and I know the numbers...not just spouting BS here. The Bassmasters show is consistently the highest rated fishing show on ESPN. Trout shows haven't been produced for ESPN in years. I think you have to go back to "In Search of Fly Water" in 2005 or 2006. It's a shame. I loved that show.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

OK! Trivia time Exclamation

What was the very 1st fishing show on TV and who was the host Question

SeaDog1

P.S. Oh! Phish -> Opening day is Saturday April 17, 2010
billybass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot in the dark

1 Bill Dance Outdoors

2 City Limits Fishing

3 National Capital Angling...with Mike Lawson
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybass wrote:
Here is a shot in the dark

1 Bill Dance Outdoors

2 City Limits Fishing

3 National Capital Angling...with Mike Lawson

NOPE Exclamation Have to go much further back then THAT!
Hint: -> Bill Dance would have been still in diapers at the time!

SeaDog1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: