CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: West Hill and LMB! Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: West Hill and LMB! Reply with quote

FYI!

Well the word is getting out that Large-Mouth-Bass were ILLEGALY seeded/released into West Hill Pond.
WH is a small pond, yet deep, and "is" primarily aTrout and Kokanee Salmon fishery.
The word going around is to ask fishermen to "NOT" return any caught LMB back into the pond so as to remove this "invasive species" and return WH to it's historic origin.

I have to agree with this concept as an ethical Sportsman, because spreading species of fish into waters that originally had none can cause an inbalance in the predator - prey ratio.
It is best to let the fisheries biologist make the determination if such species can do good or harm to fish populations in certain waters.

I like fishing for Bass, but do not want to see them in waters that were never meant to have them!

SeaDog1
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya someone put smallies in patchaug pond in voluntown...a tourney was won with them last year.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one will not start keeping bass to protect a stocked trout or salmon. That's absurd. They just keep dumping stocked fish into the lake and that are NOT native. Where did you get this information from the DEP? I have always seen Largemouth and Smallmouth listed in the species category in the anglers guide and have never heard of any lake where largemouth were an invasive species.
billybass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to dont see any reason to pull the bass out..Also when the pond
was electrofishing surveyed in 2000 there was a high density of smaller
largemouth and smallmouth bass then, 10 years ago,,,so whats done is done
Iknow that Alewives are illegal to be used there as bait because if intoduced they would out compete those Kokanee for food source and destroy the fishery..
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a tough time buying into this too. This is from the 2010 CT DEP Angler's Guide and SMB and LMB are listed as species that can be caught at West Hill. Why would they be listed if DEP wanted them pulled from the pond?????

Quote:
WEST HILL POND,New Hartford-Barkhamsted (261 acres)
TROPHY TROUT LAKE / KOKANEE LAKE
Species: (T K SMB YP S LMB RA)
Season: Open 6:00 am 3rd Saturday April-March 31.
Trout: from March 1- March 31, 16” minimum length, daily creel
limit-1.
Other: The possession and use of any live alewives, blueback
(glut or river) herring, gizzard, hickory or threadfin shad as bait
is prohibited. 15 mph speed limit except 6 mph between sunset
and sunrise. From Memorial Day through September 15th
motors limited to 8 hp.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Whoa! Before you crucify me on this!
I heard about this "Quite a number of times over the past year (open water and ice) and very recently it seems to be gaining momentum with more and more fishermen I meet at WH passing the word around". (NOT ME -> Till I posted this FYI Exclamation)
Also 3 of the more elderly lake side owners have mentioned this to me also last year and 1 other just 2 days ago.

Where or how all this got started I don't know Exclamation
I have put in a call in to DEP to find out if there is any truth to all this Exclamation

I do know for a fact (per my past conversations with Ct. fisheries bioligist and hatchery people), that the DEP is "VERY ADAMENT" about doing everything possible to save and protect the "very small handful" of deep cold water ponds and lakes as primarily cold water fish fisheries. (ie; West Hill, Lakeville, East Twin).

As I said, I like to fish for Bass myself Exclamation
And there are many, many, many more Bass waters in the state than cold water fish waters.
So there just may be some kernel of truth to what I've been hearing by fishermen at WH.

Personally, I wouldn't get overly upset over this, as WH is a Caldera ( ancient spring water filled volcano cone) and has hardly any weed beds.
What population of LMB there is is very small yet of good size.
Smallies are more abundant because of the gravel bottom of WH.

Also there are few if any frogs or turtles in WH due to lack of weeds, rocky shore line all around, and hardly any shallows.
WH is not a very good warm water species pond.
I've yet to hear any bullfrogs bellowing their mating calls when fishing WH in the evening or at night.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a call in to Bill Foreman @ the DEP. I think this is just trout fisherman and uneducated people trying to manipulate the lake by word of mouth. Bucket Biologists and opinions have been screwing up lakes for years. I have a hard time believing Largemouth are invasive to WestHill or any lake in the US. Maybe in the 1700-1800's but you can catch bass in a mud puddle now...lol I bet Dusty would have some input on this.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look into the regulations of keeping Largemouth Bass at West Hill. Any bass under "12 or more than 6 fish per angler is against the law. I don't think they would regulate that for an invasive species...... Rolling Eyes
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckc wrote:
I have a call in to Bill Foreman @ the DEP. I think this is just trout fisherman and uneducated people trying to manipulate the lake by word of mouth. Bucket Biologists and opinions have been screwing up lakes for years. I have a hard time believing Largemouth are invasive to WestHill or any lake in the US. Maybe in the 1700-1800's but you can catch bass in a mud puddle now...lol I bet Dusty would have some input on this.

You may be quite correct!
Especially about the "BUCKET BIOLOGISTS" Exclamation
That's how a number of lakes and ponds got infested with Alewives which caused some serious problems.

SeaDog1
Stratos17

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished WH 3 times last year, 2 of those times a night. Not for trout but for bass. Did pretty well. As far as LM & SM bass being in there I think its Natural. They were most likely there before the state introduced trout and salmon to the water, at the expense of all license holders I might add. I say keep the trout in the rivers and streams, leave the bass alone. Save the state some money!!
billybass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no creel limit,,,and no protected slot limit
for bass there...
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Just got back from fishing for trout on the Mass. portion of the Farmington River.
River was running very fast, high, and rolly.
Had no luck there.

Went back to West Hill and talked with a land owner.
There are 3 lake associations on WH and from what I was told the bass thing was started by one of them.
Why? I have no idea.

Hi, Stratos17
I tend to strongly disagree with you.
As I said, there are only a very few deep cold water lakes in Ct. that can hold over trout and salmon yearly, 4 in fact.
So if there are only such a small number then lets keep such waters for cold water fisheries.

There are "tons and tons" of warm water Bass waters throughout the state.
As for your comment about leaving the trout and salmon in rivers and streams, you are SO WRONG! my friend.

In Mass. Vermont, N.H. and particularly Maine there are many many deep cold water lakes and ponds that have only had historicly Trout and Landlocked Salmon in them.
Up in Maine they "DO NOT want Bass, or Pike/Muskies " in their waters so as to protect their traditional cold water fisheries. They consider Bass and Pike/Muskies trash fish -> "YES! Trash Fish" -> Not my words but theirs -> ask them if you don't belive me Exclamation
They'll even tell you they leave them on the ice as Eagle and Coyote food in the winter.

Lets be logical, Not everyone is into Bass fishing, so lets leave and protect 4 out of hundreds of other waters in Ct. for cold water fisheries. OK Exclamation

Oh! And BB -> Your quite correct on the No creel or slot limit at WH.

Best regards,
SeaDog1
billybass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find that the state lists it has the only good kokanee fishery
remaining in the state....That is why the Alewives are prohibited..
because they already detroyed the same type of water,being East twin,and Lake Wononscopomuc....
I just cant see the bass doing all the damage
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybass wrote:
I did find that the state lists it has the only good kokanee fishery
remaining in the state....That is why the Alewives are prohibited..
because they already detroyed the same type of water,being East twin,and Lake Wononscopomuc....
I just cant see the bass doing all the damage

Hi BB!

I would have to agree with you there Exclamation

Still we absolutely don't need "Bucket Biologists" thinking they know better than the real fisheries biologist and seeding waters with fish species that could be detrimental to healthy balanced fish populations -> Cold or Warm!

SeaDog1
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybass wrote:
There is no creel limit,,,and no protected slot limit
for bass there...

There is a 6 fish, 12 inch on bass at every body of water in CT except for bass management lakes. You should read the anglers guide before misinforming people about state laws.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: