CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing For Bass... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alibaba wrote:
i love to eat fish myself an i wont lie ive taken a few gut hooked bass home myself but i dont want to see happen with bass what happend with stripers (moratorium) and for all u who say there is tomany bass for that to happen thats what thay sead about stripers in the 70-80 and look what happend as true fishermen it is our job to protect our sport and i dont know about you but i want to catch bass biger than 13-15'' with my kids when thay grow up Crying or Very sad

WHOA there fellow!

2 different fish (1 fresh & 1 salt) -> Saltwater Stripers where caught commercially / overfished and THAT had a lot to do with their reduction and the moratorium + size restrictions!

As for freshwater LMB -> Never caught or fished for commercially -> Officially, "NOT" an Endangered species from over fishing Exclamation -> And Officially rated as one of the lowest and lousiest fish to eat Exclamation
(Due to their diet -> Not called Largemouth for nothing!)

I say -> Eat Them if you like the taste Exclamation -> Throw them back if not Exclamation -> or Have your PB mounted Exclamation

Oh! -> As a matter of "Official FACT" -> Many Ponds and Lakes, here in Ct. are over-run with stunted Panfish and Bass -> Too many for some waters!

Culling is not a dirty word and would allow more fish to grow to trophy size Exclamation
The pros will even admit to this!

Ask yourself this -> You catch a nice say 5-6 lb. bass -> How much longer do you think that particular fish has to live Question

Answer: Life span for LMB is about 16 years!

SeaDog1
alibaba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill give u that on the stripers seadog comm fishing did have a lot to do with that but the point is that people got careless and almost destroyed one of the best spices of game fish in the world
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ali!

Yeap! Greed and Money will do that!

Stripers now are getting over abundant and I'm of the opinion that the size restrictions should be lowered.
The return of the Stripers has decimated the American Shad!

The big Stripers are OK for a trophy mount! (+ too much toxins for eating)

The Schoolie Stripers where the eating size I use to catch as a kid before the moratorium! (Delicious Exclamation )

SeaDog1
alibaba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay seadog greed is a horable thing and i agree thay should lower the limit but with special restrictions on thing like party boats there size limits should stay the same thay take lots of fish each year for profit
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Hold on there fellow!

The party boats aren't the bad guys as you seem to make them out to be!

The party boats make their money on the number of fishermen they can take/hold that pay for the ride and the ability of the Captain to put them on fish!

The party fishermen can keep or throw their catch back (A must if under size and only up to legal limits per fisherman).

The boats make No money off the fishermen's catch.

I personally know Capt. John of the Sunshine fleet and Capt. Greg of the HellCat and both are very ethical about their operations!

Where do you come by your Mis-information Question

SeaDog1
billybass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go,,,,,
alibaba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not trying to make party boats out to be bad guys i went on the sunbeam 3 times last year and the captian was verry good and a verry nice guy and thay do not have any problem pulling limits at there current restrictions
alibaba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far as the bad taste on big stripers i say lets cleanup the water not take smaller fish Crying or Very sad
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alibaba wrote:
far as the bad taste on big stripers i say lets cleanup the water not take smaller fish Crying or Very sad

Never said anything about the taste of big Stripers -> Just that they have accumulated more toxins over time!

Besides smaller fish are "ALWAYS" much more tasty with little or No toxins Exclamation Very Happy
Oh! And the waters are much more cleaner than they have been in decades (Fresh and Salt) due to laws and much more responsible people Exclamation

Again -> The Captains on the party boats, I know, are pretty observant that the fishermen stay within the official limits.
It's the fishermen themselves that are more likely at fault -> keeping excessive fish! -> Not the party boats or their captains!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to eat largemouth you should try to keep ones on the smaller side, they will stunt their own population sizes if you take only big ones, i've read that its better to keep 6 one pounders than 1 five pounder, it can damage the ecosystem if the smaller fish are competing against each other too much
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pP1!

Yeap! Your right!
You explained it a bit more in depth than my culling point 9 posts back.
Lakes and ponds can definetly get over abundant with small stunted fish!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Batterson Park Pond at the beginning of the season last year, a DEP guy asked me how I'd feel about designating Batterson as a Bass Management Lake:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/fishing/freshwater/bassbroc.pdf

Perhaps those of you who don't like the current regulations and limits should petition the DEP to change them instead of complaining about fishermen who adhere to them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt tryin to be a prick. But i dont ever think drama about keeping legal fish period. Seadog i agree with you. and most of my pics come from ponds and lakes that get over crowded. like butterwood. bass are loaded in there and thats where my ice pics come from be sides konolds and you have to know someine to get in there. its also connected to Benthany res which dams outta to a stream that connected to konolds which i believe that it has constant feed of fish into it. eggs and baby fish go though all the time i know cause i hike ova there and play paintball and just venture.. Believe me if i know a place is getting low on bass i wont take them... Period. I havent seen a decrease in striper. if anything past 5 years its been great to me. life is life cant stop commercial and cant stop party boats.. Its gonna happen... Anyways meet Kira and Phil.... Both cool peoples.. When we all going fishing?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi af!

Here's a site you, Phil and Others would like Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

www.bassonhook.com/fishforfood/bassrecipes.html

Best regards,
SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet deal imma have to steal few of them.... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: