CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing For Bass... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alibaba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi seadog sorry about the long time for a responce had a lot of snow to deal with worked all day yeasterday aside from that i am familar with jerry dean but not his wife i had her confused with debra dean a novelest and freelance writer my bad Embarassed but this dose not change my opinion with the exception of no real world expriance . it tryes to underminde every thing we worked for through catch and release smaller dumber bass is not what i want in our lakes and it does matter if its a 18# bass dispite what she sead the thought of putting ( the ONE ) on the end of my line is one of the biggest reasons why i fish and have done so since i was old enough to hold a fishing rod . anyways i got to go take care of some more snow i enjoy talking with u and i never take anything personal think your a cool dude that i can learn alot from even if are views dont match up all the time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ali!

No problem -> a good lively debate can be constructive!

1st of all -> the following is Not allowed in Ct. -> except on very specific species and specific waters as listed in Ct. Anglers Guide.

I was surfing thru 3 other ice fishing forums and found this interesting:

Out in the Mid-West and Western states they do Dark House spearing for Pike, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, and other predator fish.

YES! They "spear them" and it is considered an ancient and honorable form of fishing and very popular and totally legal Exclamation
Native Americans have been doing this for hundreds of years!

Saw lots of recently posted 2011 pictures of some Monster Pike and LMB speared.
Now these guys keep what they spear and eat what they spear Exclamation

There are some videos on youtube.

SeaDog1
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO,,,,WOO,,, What is going on, Asianfisher why the blow up,,,Damned if you do,,,, Damned if you dont,,, they put limits on fishing, reason being people are allowed to catch fish and keep them, Taking them is fine as long as if its in reason, When I run my tournys, all those fish are mine and they are all released, unless some dont make it then I donate them to whoever wants them. Me personally cant stand fish(freshwater) I fish for $$$ then buy new thongs Wink NOW when I see trout guys injuring bass I have a real problem with that!!! Almost got arrested because of it..
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im an all around fisher. I fish for almost everything thats out there... Walleye to day will be my first tryin to go for them but its hard to distinguish that through the ice so as i go on pike i dont really fish for neither do like the meat and they ruin baits.. Muskie either. trout,bass,crappie,white perch,yellow perch, stripers, blues, porgy, cod, flounder,fluke, pretty much same sh!t. Seabass.Those are all the fish i eat and catch. He if you strickly catch and release more power to ya. I dont knock it or even pay any mind. i release alot of fish too.. probly more than i catch. But does that mean at any given time someone should make you feel guilty in any way or have a second thought about it. I eat them and if i dont my family does. Big fam too. anyways im here to meet people and try to keep civil for the most part. If it looked like i blew up my bad. Lets just go fishing...
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy, I don't care if AF keeps & eats a sack of bass daily. My problem is with the 5+ lbers in the sack. He catches a crapload of them, especially for not even being a "bass guy."

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alibaba wrote:
hi seadog sorry about the long time for a responce had a lot of snow to deal with worked all day yeasterday aside from that i am familar with jerry dean but not his wife i had her confused with debra dean a novelest and freelance writer my bad Embarassed but this dose not change my opinion with the exception of no real world expriance . it tryes to underminde every thing we worked for through catch and release smaller dumber bass is not what i want in our lakes and it does matter if its a 18# bass dispite what she sead the thought of putting ( the ONE ) on the end of my line is one of the biggest reasons why i fish and have done so since i was old enough to hold a fishing rod . anyways i got to go take care of some more snow i enjoy talking with u and i never take anything personal think your a cool dude that i can learn alot from even if are views dont match up all the time

Hi All!

OK! I'm going to repeat this one more time!

Historic "FACT" -> Catch and Release was originally started by Trout/Salmon fishermen -> Then the Bass fishermen picked up on the idea -> Saltwater fishermen did too about the same time.

YET! -> I don't hear the Trout/Salmon fishermen or Saltwater fishermen getting so "BENT OUT of SHAPE" as the Bass fishermen do Exclamation
So my question is WHY Question Some Bass fishermen/women can be so over zealous/fanatical about it Exclamation

Bass are NOT considered (even anywhere close) the King of fish -> The Atlantic Salmon IS and will Forever hold that Crown:!:

Read this article (again) by Debra Dean - Wife (Bass fisherwoman) of the Famous Jerry G. Dean (A Pioneer of Bass Fishing).

www.bassresource.com/fishing/catch_release_bass.html

I have absolutely no problem with anyone promoting the ideals of Catch and Release of any fish! -> BUT those that look down their noses or condem those that prefer to keep their Bass -> are ABSOLUTELY WRONG Exclamation

As long as the fish are legally caught -> "NO ONE" should ever put down a fellow sportsman/woman for their belief or practice of what they do with their fish(Period)

Best regards,
SeaDog1
alibaba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys never sead asian fisher was a bad guy if he likes to eat bass thats fine as long as thay dont go to waste but turtle is right u do post a lot of nice bass for not being a bass a bass guy your last post had some nice bass wish i was there that day Smile ps it is stripers that hold that spot not the atlantic as far as i conserned seadog 1 Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like food food is good. i like food food is good... juicy burger tasty fries.. mixes good with 2 dime bags inside... i like food.... food is good..... Any one remember this song?
jhines

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The challenge is the balance of catchablility. Catchability is proven to be a learned trait. So when fish that are catch and release fish breed, they pass on the defensive instinct which decreases catchablitity. So even with higher numbers of fish we will see a decrease in catch rates. This is also a threat to the fish themselves. Higher populations in the same ecosystem.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen in my time bass fishing, that the bigger fish most certainly do learn your lures, I have a spot, a small pond no more than an acre that produces some decent size fish. I've personally caught multiple 5 pounders and released them successfully every time. When i first stumbled upon this little pond the fish would bite anything, any lure you correctly worked they would hit, after fishing it repeatedly a couple times a week for about a whole summer the difference of what and when they would feed was remarkable. Now that i think I've caught just about every good sized fish in there i have noticed that it takes finesse tactics, (shaky heads, wacky rigs) and a bit of good timing to have days anywhere close to when I first found this pond. I also know that this fishing pressure was from my friends and I almost solely,(its private property and i have a friend who worked for the owners of the property so thats how we got our "in") I have only noticed one little piece of remnants of another angler there! Now fishing pressure is the reason for days that might not produce like the first time I hit it hard, but I have a tough time swallowing the idea that those bass pass those learned traits down to their young genetically. I just don't believe its possible, how could such a simple creature pass a learned trait genetically, i just think that they have been accustomed to my fishing tactics and have personally learned that the moving plastic worm in front of them will result in a hook through their mouth and them temporarily being removed from the water, so each and every one that i have caught repeatedly has smartened up a bit. I dont believe that could be passed down genetically, I think they have personally learned from experience!
jhines

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that would have been my response also. But this is the result of several large university studies that have taken over 20 years. Hopefully done by people smarter than me.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish evolve just like we do... Adapt to their surroundings. Do or die basically. And i do agree with bass somewhat remembering baits... Have noticed that when im out there too... Hopefully will try to make more time for bass fishing for me this year but i dont know cause i fish for alot of different fish...we will see..... Its not like i dont bass fish at all i do alot just not faithfully like alot of you
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a fishing show and it was referencing a 3 year study that the University of Minn did on "catchability" of LMB and genetics. They caught bass from different lakes fishing w/ lures and found that some were being caught more often then others. They took the ones that were caught often and put them in a tank to breed. They did the same w/ ones that were not as "catchable". After 3 generations of offspring they released the fish and then tried to catch them.
What they found was that the offspring of the more "catchable" fish were caught significantly more often than offspring of the less "catchable" fish.
What I get from this is that aggression seems to be a trait that is passed down from generation to generation.
This study was not about learned behavior, but since there is pretty much no parental care, it seems to me that a baby bass is on his own when it comes to learning about fishing lures. What it does get from it's parents is the aggression factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Flipper, af, jhines, and pP1,

Good posts guys Exclamation

Your posts are much more informative and productive -> better then those were we're banging back and forth at each other over the Catch and Release controversy.

As with anything, knowledge is the key to becoming a better Fisherman and Sportsman/woman.

Again, well done Exclamation

SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK keep fish n a tank and feed it when you want it to feed of cousre you can get results... Put i fish in the wild. Where he has to compete with other species to eat. live before getting to a size where he will be left alone... than have other fish attack bait before he does. They will change. Not for nothing i have stocked places and i do watch my fish... I take them from alot of different places and mix them up..... The result is that i put them in ponds PRIVATE ponds and lakes in condition that i can fish at any giving time.. One thing "i" believe is that fish will evolve.. Fish will learn to survive... than again there will be that small percentage that will just be weird. No matter how much we think fish are stupid and dumb.... You will be surprised. Not saying they are smart just saying if you have time to watch certain fish in ponds and lakes yearly and almost able to control the population... you would agree to disagree with everything we all been talking about... Wanna go to konolds today but hopefully i can get someone into trout fishing today....Best of luck to ya'll and hopefully we can meet and fish sometime...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: