CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing For Bass... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishinguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I was watching a fishing show and it was referencing a 3 year study that the University of Minn did on "catchability" of LMB and genetics. They caught bass from different lakes fishing w/ lures and found that some were being caught more often then others. They took the ones that were caught often and put them in a tank to breed. They did the same w/ ones that were not as "catchable". After 3 generations of offspring they released the fish and then tried to catch them.
What they found was that the offspring of the more "catchable" fish were caught significantly more often than offspring of the less "catchable" fish.
What I get from this is that aggression seems to be a trait that is passed down from generation to generation.
This study was not about learned behavior, but since there is pretty much no parental care, it seems to me that a baby bass is on his own when it comes to learning about fishing lures. What it does get from it's parents is the aggression factor.
I agree. Bass are not taught any thing from the generation before them, they learn by school of hard knocks. Any evolution comes from genetics (aggression,speed,size ). Its highly unlikely they learn from Mom and Dad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: