CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing For Bass... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see there are 20 pound pike, 30 inch walleye, 24 inch plus catfish, and 24 inch plus trout being caught all the time thanks to the great stocking program that CT has. Now if CT included a bass stocking program or a program like share-a-lunker, then we can add a 8-10 pound largemouth to the list above. Now I have never kept one bass in my life or pike because it's bad luck, but there are many lakes that need the help with the 10-14 inch bass problem. Also there are a few lakes out there that do not need any help what they need is more strict size regulations. Most CT bass management lakes are 14-18 or 16-20 inches must be returned to the lake. The average weight of those fish are between 2 and 4.5 pounds if spawning maybe 5 pounds. I would make the bass management lakes 16-25 inches must be returned. Catching a bass at the 23 inch mark is 7 plus pounds and the best part about that is that it is going back into the lake, and its genetics are going into the future of the lake the next spring. That’s how you get monster bass with the great trout program, abundance of alewifes in many lakes, and other pan fish, all those bass management lakes need to produce a 10 or the next state record is the added security of going back into the lake to grow bigger and time. What will happen is that people will start to catch bigger bass easier because the quicker and more agile little 10-14 inch bass are not around, the only problem with that is that the fisherman needs to release it after a few pictures no matter what even if it is 24.75 inches and almost 9 pounds. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:
As you can see there are 20 pound pike, 30 inch walleye, 24 inch plus catfish, and 24 inch plus trout being caught all the time thanks to the great stocking program that CT has. Now if CT included a bass stocking program or a program like share-a-lunker, then we can add a 8-10 pound largemouth to the list above. Now I have never kept one bass in my life or pike because it's bad luck, but there are many lakes that need the help with the 10-14 inch bass problem. Also there are a few lakes out there that do not need any help what they need is more strict size regulations. Most CT bass management lakes are 14-18 or 16-20 inches must be returned to the lake. The average weight of those fish are between 2 and 4.5 pounds if spawning maybe 5 pounds. I would make the bass management lakes 16-25 inches must be returned. Catching a bass at the 23 inch mark is 7 plus pounds and the best part about that is that it is going back into the lake, and its genetics are going into the future of the lake the next spring. That’s how you get monster bass with the great trout program, abundance of alewifes in many lakes, and other pan fish, all those bass management lakes need to produce a 10 or the next state record is the added security of going back into the lake to grow bigger and time. What will happen is that people will start to catch bigger bass easier because the quicker and more agile little 10-14 inch bass are not around, the only problem with that is that the fisherman needs to release it after a few pictures no matter what even if it is 24.75 inches and almost 9 pounds. Laughing

Get a petition going, Pete...I'll sign.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
steven1smith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:

That's a great idea. A decent amount of fisherman out there have the mentality that if they get a 7 plus bass, they will mount it. If the 16-25" regulation goes into effect, it will prevent these people from removing the possible 10lb+ fish from our waters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to add that keeping a big fish is not always a bad thing either. I personally don't do it, but that big fish is old and has already bred many times, thus making it's contribution to the ecosystem. It will probably only breed a few more times in it's life, so the loss is not that great.
Keeping medium size fish can have a negative impact as it is probably just starting to breed and if it is taken out many generations of fish will be lost. This will reduce the overall numbers of fish.
It is the same concept as hunting. You would not want to take a smaller deer that has just started breeding - you would want to take a large deer that has already bred for many years. In fact, once these animals reach a certain age they become sterile, or do not breed at all, so they are actually bad for the ecosystem, as they only consume and do not add to it.
That being said, it does not aply to the stunted situation mentioned above. Then it is advantagous to the environment to remove a large number of medium sized fish do to the inadequate food to sustain numbers AND size.
As far as eating goes, my opinion is the bigger the fish - the worse it tastes. I usually only eat panfish and brown trout.
Also, I love catching stripers,but when the stripers made a comeback, the alwives started to decline in numbers.
The bottom line is that it is all about balance, and no 2 bodies of water are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed for the most part... would eat a bass over trout any day tho... Bass to asians imma say is like lobster to American people..... They love it I love it.. LMFAO and i wont stop putting them back. I dont always take them... Only in places i go faithfully....
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
I would just like to add that keeping a big fish is not always a bad thing either. I personally don't do it, but that big fish is old and has already bred many times, thus making it's contribution to the ecosystem. It will probably only breed a few more times in it's life, so the loss is not that great.
Keeping medium size fish can have a negative impact as it is probably just starting to breed and if it is taken out many generations of fish will be lost. This will reduce the overall numbers of fish.
It is the same concept as hunting. You would not want to take a smaller deer that has just started breeding - you would want to take a large deer that has already bred for many years. In fact, once these animals reach a certain age they become sterile, or do not breed at all, so they are actually bad for the ecosystem, as they only consume and do not add to it.
That being said, it does not aply to the stunted situation mentioned above. Then it is advantagous to the environment to remove a large number of medium sized fish do to the inadequate food to sustain numbers AND size.
As far as eating goes, my opinion is the bigger the fish - the worse it tastes. I usually only eat panfish and brown trout.
Also, I love catching stripers,but when the stripers made a comeback, the alwives started to decline in numbers.
The bottom line is that it is all about balance, and no 2 bodies of water are the same.

Flipper if that's true than why does Lake Fork have a share-a-lunker program, where they take 10-18 pound bass spawn them out and then sell their fry after they have hatched or stock them into local Texas waters, then release the lunkers back into the lake?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, I think that Damian was referring to the longevity of larger, older bass, not their genetics. I've read that northern bass have shorter lifespans than southern bass. That's another reason we get so few trophy sized bass; they simply don't live long enough to get that big.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the fish having to deal with much harsher overwintering here in the North has any effect on their lifespan and/or size potential.
alibaba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay guys found a good web page on lm bass check it out http://www.umpquavalleybassmasters.com/bassbook.htm
alibaba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there life span is about the same the problem is the amount of time thay are able to feed and put on weight southern bass have 9-11 months out of the year northen bass have only about 5-7 . during the winter thay put on little to no weight there metoblisem slowes down to a crawl and cant digest food as fast . the avrege life span of a lm bass is 13-16 years so doing the math a southren bass gains weight 4-5 years longer in there life than a northen bass that is why i think we must tougher size limits on keeper bass and must stick to a strict catch and release effort if we want to see more prize largemouths in ct and all of newengland p.s i would love to sign your petiton if you get one going let me know i will do what i can to help!! Very Happy
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what alot of studies say... If you are right than the places i fish are retardedly stocked with fish and they come in waves or shifts no wait better yet they take turns feeding each day certain about of fish go out on prawl. Than the next day unit 2 can go feed. and so forth... Man fish evolve an adapt.... not saying what you read is false.. Im saying fish do or die in [laces and have to evolve to survive. Anyone can sit there and come up with a reason why they didnt catch fish... i try to figure out why i do so to me it may be true but from what i see are two different things... I just express my "opinions" and if you believe or you dont your choice... But for years I watch bass search for food in the winter. And i catch alot of them too.... Where are all them comimng from? p.s i dont keep them all Smile
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

OK! We have Trout, Salmon, and Bass -> with very well managed programs for each here in Connecticut.

All these programs support the Catch and Release ideal and "ALSO" for Take/Eat, or Mount Exclamation

So! Bottom line! -> Which ever aspect of fishing you do is perfectly ACCEPTABLE Exclamation

If you fish for any of the above listed fish species for Sport -> ACCEPTABLE Exclamation
If you fish for any of the above listed fish species to Eat -> ACCEPTABLE Exclamation

FYI:
As per Ct. fisheries program reports (starting back in the 1980's).... to present!

39% of Connecticut waters are stockpiled (overabundant) with stunted small Bass under 12 inches.
And 53% of Ct. waters are stockedpiled (overabundant) with small stunted Panfish.

ALSO -> Not all Ct. waters are condusive to producing large Bass or any of the other above listed species of fish!

I'm of the personal opinion, -> That "No One" should be poo-pooing / looking down their noses at "ANYONE" for their preference or reason for fishing Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Here is a very interesting article I found that should be of interest to all fishermen Exclamation

www.bassresource.com/fishing/catch_and_release_bass.html

Oh! As an FYI to All -> HISTORIC FACT! -> Catch and Release fishing was originally "Started" by Trout/Salmon fishermen then picked up by Bass fishermen and Saltwater fishermen Exclamation

SeaDog1
alibaba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sea dog thanks for the artical i i love reading every thing i can about lm bass and there conservation efforts and i mean no disrespect to you by any means so i hope u dont hate me after what i say but i thinh it was a shalow article written by a journlest with little real world exprence in fishing she sited only 2 sorces of info and added alot of her owne beliefs make bass smaller and dumber ???? if i wanted that id go for panfish if you want to catch moore bass do your homework there not just gonna put them self on the hook !!as for keeping kids intrested in the sport there are plenty of small ponds all over were thay can catch dozens of perch and panfish that are dumb as door knobs
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ali!

No! No offense taken what so ever!

I gather though your unfamiliar with the Dean name!

Jerry G. Dean (who passed away last year) was a professional Bass fisherman, professional guide, and published tons of articles on Bass fishing.
He also had one of the 1st Bass fishing TV programs.
And is revered as a pioneer of Bass fishing Exclamation
His wife Debra (who wrote the article) holds equivalent status Exclamation

I'm sure I can say, with 100% accuracy, that their combined years of Bass fishing experience far exceeds yours and mine and probably 100 more combined.

That article that Debra wrote, is from years of professional/personal Bass fishing experience and doing indepth research on the subject of Catch and Release Exclamation
So your comment that she has no real world experience is incorrect Exclamation

Her comments that fish ( including Bass) do become educated is TRUE Exclamation , as any fly-fisherman for Trout will also confirm!
She also said, in the article, that educated Bass are harder to catch!.... That to is TRUE Exclamation

Debra's point that teaching kids to become better fishermen (for what ever fish targeted) is what all we sportsman should strive to do Exclamation
You don't teach kids to be better fishermen and sportsmen by relegating them to only small panfish ponds as you seem to feel.

Me! -> I say bring on the Kids! -> I'd be more than happy to teach them what fishing knowledge I know Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: