CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Starting to Consider Braid....Need Recommendations Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Suffix 832 for the past two years and I absolutely love it. Has yet to fail me..knock on wood.

I usually backspool it with 25% to 50% mono depending on how much the reel takes and then the rest braid. I wouldn't go more than 50% mono though.

150 yards of braid after 100 yards of mono should be okay IMO.

If its your first time really using braid, you'll never want to switch back to mono. You'll be casting the entire length of the ponds your fishing lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is mono equivalent of 20 pound braid in strength?
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

In diameter, 6lb mono would be the same size as 20lb braid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Is that a trick question? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20lb mono ! what do I win?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP slick 8 for premium performance. If an uncoated line is desired, I used to use zebco from wally mart for $7. Fished it all season with no complaints other than less distance than coated lines provide. Think they do not sell it anymore but the uncoated braids are available on Amazon for $30 for 1000 meters or so. Pretty sure you pick Spectra or Dyneema. I don't remember the difference but most braid out there comes from two sources. One is made by Honeywell and the other I forget. Either way, if uncoated line is desired it does not need to cost $14 for 150 yards. You can get ten times as much for twice the cost.

Oh, and palomar. If that does not work, use a palomar. Use it on swivels, clips, and as an arbor knot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
I've been using Suffix 832 for the past two years and I absolutely love it. Has yet to fail me..knock on wood.

I usually backspool it with 25% to 50% mono depending on how much the reel takes and then the rest braid. I wouldn't go more than 50% mono though.

If its your first time really using braid, you'll never want to switch back to mono. You'll be casting the entire length of the ponds your fishing lol.

Just out of curiousity, why so much backer? I had a place spool me a few weeks ago as I was in a hurry instead of me spooling it myself and I didnt watch them and they put about 40% backer on a reel that usually holds about 330 yards of 30# braid. Now when I long cast a heavy popper I really dont have much braid left on my spool. I undid their work to find out it was about 15# mono under it! WTF is that about! I dont use backer myself and just line the spool with a little electrical tape and when the line is starting to get a little warn I spool that line on backwards to another smaller spool making that inside line never used on the outside, In reality there is always just a little line in the middle that never gets used but thats the biggest bang for your $ in my opinion!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
SAP284 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, why so much backer? I had a place spool me a few weeks ago as I was in a hurry instead of me spooling it myself and I didnt watch them and they put about 40% backer on a reel that usually holds about 330 yards of 30# braid. Now when I long cast a heavy popper I really dont have much braid left on my spool. I undid their work to find out it was about 15# mono under it! WTF is that about! I dont use backer myself and just line the spool with a little electrical tape and when the line is starting to get a little warn I spool that line on backwards to another smaller spool making that inside line never used on the outside, In reality there is always just a little line in the middle that never gets used but thats the biggest bang for your $ in my opinion!

The first season or two that I started using braid, I realized that I never used 150 yards of braid. I primarily fish freshwater and the river not so much salt, so a lot of the braid is rarely used. If the line holds 250 yards of line, there's no sense of putting more than 150 yards of braid (IMO) because its never going to get used. I know braid can last for several seasons but I usually replace it ever 2 seasons or so. Just my opinion that's all, I'm sure that many will disagree with me but I figure in a scenario where it's $20 for 150 yards of suffix, I spool 100 yards of mono, then the 150 of braid. That $20 will last me 2 years then when it's time to replace, do it all over again. When I first started using braid I wasn't so smart and started spooling the whole reel with braid. Pretty much wasting 150-200 yards of braid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Michael wrote:

Is that a trick question? Laughing

SAP284 wrote:
Michael wrote:

In diameter, 6lb mono would be the same size as 20lb braid.

What I mean is how heavy the fish, lure, or weight is on the other end of the line when the line is totally new.

I.E.,
6 pound mono handling a 2 pound trout and casting with a 1/8 ounce Rooster Tail
10 pound mono handling a 6 pound bluefish and casting with a 3/4 ounce jighead
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still don't know what you mean by that? As I'm sure you know you should be able to bring in a fish twice as big if not bigger on line stated for that poundage using hood drag techniques.

PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about a fisherman in Alaska who boated a 364 pound halibut with 100 pound test Power Pro braid. Heck, I boated my snag hooked 29 pound carp with 10 pound test P-Line Fluoroclear. Actually, now that I think about it, I think the line on my daughter's setup was only eight pound test.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Still don't know what you mean by that? As I'm sure you know you should be able to bring in a fish twice as big if not bigger on line stated for that poundage using hood drag techniques.

Is 10 pound braid able to handle a 6 pound bluefish much easier than 10 pound mono or are 10 pound braid and mono lines of equal strength?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equal strength for the most part but there are pros and cons. Braid does not stretch which makes setting a hook much better and lure action especially top water IMO much much better but.............. it cuts really really easy if rubbed on a rock or touched to a sharp edge!!! I found a chunking knife left behind last night and while picking it up I accidentally gently touched my line and next thing I knew my lure and leader where on the ground! LOL Its why you really need to use a good leader when using braid! My friend lost his lure and a fish while it was at his side when the striper thrashed around and his dorsal fin hit his line and broke off. He learned the hard way why I kept telling him to use a leader.

PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Is 10 pound braid able to handle a 6 pound bluefish much easier than 10 pound mono or are 10 pound braid and mono lines of equal strength?

Is that another trick question? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Michael wrote:

Is that another trick question? Laughing

It is! Answer: A 6lb. bluefish will chew through 10lb. braid as fast as 10lb. mono. Laughing
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: