CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Starting to Consider Braid....Need Recommendations Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier today I took one of my Fierce 2000 and removed most of the 6 pound mono on it. Looked online at knot websites and found the double uni knot.

Used the double uni knot for tying the 6 pound mono to 10 pound Power Pro braid and was able to get aprox 130 or 140 yards of the 150 yards onto the reel without over spooling.

Rigged that reel up with my 7'6" Okuma SST Salmon Spin medium power and hit the incoming tide at Remington through the evening and was very impressed with the feeling of the line and how it showed no signs of wear and memory. Not much of a difference in casting distance with the lighter Rapalas even though I still got some extra distance.

Member gkolyagin (aka Genna) and the surfcaster from Remington both told me that fishing with 10 pound braided line is like using fresh 15 pound mono, as for strength in working a fish and casting a heavier lure.

The surfcaster and I met at Remington today and he gave me a 150 yard spool of Power Pro 20 pound braid in red. He told me to spool it onto one of my Sargus 4000 and use it on my 8' Aerial Surf, which is the 8 footer I use more for CT.
insomnia11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi micheal
did you ever hookup with that top water guy???
im curious to hear how YOUR foray with braid is coming along Smile
any issues with your braid to mono shock leaders?????
this past tuesday i lost two blues after the 40lb power pro broke after i set the hook twice
the line had started showing fatigue(slight fraying and fluffyness) along a 5ft length of line along the top guide.
i got the line from a bait shop about a month ago
i figured now was a good time to start using a shock leader and learning different knots Smile
so far it's been a little of everything:
THE GOOD,THE GOOD AND BAD..... AND THE DOWNRIGHT UGLY!!!

12ft power stick with 50lb power pro with 60 lb trilene big game mono

11ft power stick with 40lb power pro with 60lb trilene big game mono

7'-6' ugly stick with 20lb power pro with 30lb mono

6' ugly stick with 10lb super 8 slick with 15lb stren mono
that's a snapper pole for using "your" rapalas and light lures <1oz Smile Smile

the 11ft rod with the 40lb braid was the only one i was having trouble with but i figured why not learn an extra thing or two Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
so here goes!!!

THE GOOD: that 10lb braid was close to the diameter of the 15lb mono so i uses a UNI TO UNI knot.A PIECE OF CAKE! Smile
so far casting a 3/8-1/2 oz bucktail ZERO issues Very Happy Very Happy

THE BAD AND THE GOOD: the 12ft with the 50lb braid and 60lb mono. the diameter difference was HUGE!!
i used an ALBRIGHT KNOT for the rods.it's supposed to be the best for the size difference. also it's what power pro recommends...and it's SUPPOSED TO BE strong and silent!
on wednesday i caugth a 26" blue that jumped twice and took some decent drag a few times so i know the knot is righteous!
the bad, is that god awful noise it makes when it hits the top guide! Surprised
not only is it loud.. but i can fell it hitting the smaller guides and i've lost 30ft+ of distance Sad

the 7'-6" ugly stick falls into the GOOD/BAD category.i can only hear and feel the knot hitting the top guide...only it's not as loud and i lost less distance

THE UGLY: is that 11footer with the 40lb braid Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
i used the same albright knot
started with 25 turns and worked my way down to 10 turns and pretty much THE SAME RESULTS! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
either i'm getting huge wind knots(all of a sudden) or the line snaps at the braid end of the knot! Embarassed
the top guide was getting whacked good!
it started feeling better after i reduced the turns on the knots and the mono windings on the spool...but .the braid would still snap after a hard cast.

i've lost about 30 yds of braid on the 11footer so i'm gonna keep using that as my "crash test dummy"!
lol
i found a few youtube videos that's "suppose" to cure that top guide problem
gonna try four knots this weekend...back to the uni to uni, a reverse albright a double albright and a completely new knot recommended by a charter skipper out of brooklyn(his looks the most promising)
there might be a very,very simple explaination for the 40lb braid performing so poorly.but i'm gonna try a few things first.
if i can't lick this mono issue i'm just gonna use some of my 65lb super 8 slick as a leader for all the rods Wink
insomnia11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!! Shocked Shocked
so we were both writing a post at the SAME time Shocked Shocked Shocked
and you beat me to it Shocked Shocked
to hell with it.... i'm not even gonna remove my post after all that work!!!LOL
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm, you should be tying them in a manor that they really should not be travelling through your guides. If your using the mono for a leader then either make it shorter or dont reel it in that far when casting, only reel it in that far when putting it away. If your using the mono for backing then you need more braid on top so that only the braid is casted and only in emergency when a big fish is pulling lots of drag should that knot ever be exposed and dragged through your guides, its going to take one of those guides out!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hook setting power at the Reef while using a TFO G. Loomis Series 7'6" and the braided Fierce 2000.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A seller on Ebay just had a store clearance end today. I ended up getting a 150 yard spool of white Power Pro 50 pound braid for $10.44.

Plan with that is attach it to my heavier Fierce 6000 that goes with my MH Emcast Surf 8 footer. The Emcast is more for MA, LI, and RI.
insomnia11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at you micheal Smile Smile Smile
i told you!! once you go braid... you can never go back......to mono! Laughing Laughing
i've had ZERO problems with the 50lb power pro! it takes a f**king beating!!there's one minor minus....it's noisy!
let me know when you're ready with your shark setup! i got you covered Wink Wink

fishfinder you are absolutely correct!!
there's a little booklet that comes in a power pro box.shows you which knot to use for different setups.i think their suggestions was strictly meant for tying a strong braid to mono "MAIN LINE" and not to be used for mono leaders. i should've read between the "lines".
i was using 10 turns of mono line on the spool and 25-30 turns on the mono leader.a definite overkill..and i learned the hard way. Sad
it got better when i reduced it to 4-5 turns on the spool and 10 turns on the braid.
because of the 4-5 turns on the spool.. that knot HAS to travel through the guides.
from further readings.. this is THE ONLY way to do a shock leader..or else you're waisting your time with mono
gonna try a knot out of brooklyn sunday morning along with 2 turns on the spool Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZ3PUi9ZAM

if it dosn't work... then either scrap mono completely or switch to 65lb slick8 with a uni to uni knot
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, the only time I use that high a test is when Im fishing in a very strong current like up at the Dam or if I was going to the Cape Cod Canal or in inlets where the tide is running out or in of a salt pond like a Breachway. Otherwise I stick with 30 lb as youll get a much better cast. Now as far as casting distance are you comparing lines of similar size or upsizing lines to a comparable thickness and testing then? The big thing about braid is the fact that you can upsize poundage and still be able to cast as far or better. What I mean by that is instead of using say 20 lb mono and being only able to cast 40 yards vs using 30 lb braid which is comparable to say 10 lb mono and being able to cast about 60 yards.

fivestring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick's had a sale going on last week on all Power Pro line, 20% off. It might still be going on. I picked up a 300 yard spool of 50# for $20 plus tax.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pretty good deal, I get the 1500 yard of Slick 8 off of Ebay for $119 shipped!!!!

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Michael, the only time I use that high a test is when Im fishing in a very strong current like up at the Dam or if I was going to the Cape Cod Canal or in inlets where the tide is running out or in of a salt pond like a Breachway. Otherwise I stick with 30 lb as youll get a much better cast. Now as far as casting distance are you comparing lines of similar size or upsizing lines to a comparable thickness and testing then? The big thing about braid is the fact that you can upsize poundage and still be able to cast as far or better. What I mean by that is instead of using say 20 lb mono and being only able to cast 40 yards vs using 30 lb braid which is comparable to say 10 lb mono and being able to cast about 60 yards.

I'm actually not comparing different pound braids. I'm just trying to get the best deals. But thanks for letting me know about the 50 vs 30.

The mono line I always used on my 4000 models was heavy duty Sufix Tritanium. Tritanium is meant mostly for saltwater fishing and is the best Sufix line for distance. That line in 10 pound test vs the 10 pound braid isn't much of a difference with the same lure as for distance.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really use small braid as I dont really fish fresh water much. I do have some on a fresh pole but last time we went together is probably the last time I used that! LOL To be honest it pretty much bores the sh!t out of me!

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
I dont really use small braid as I dont really fish fresh water much. I do have some on a fresh pole but last time we went together is probably the last time I used that! LOL To be honest it pretty much bores the sh!t out of me!

I plan on sticking with mono for freshwater, but going braid for saltwater surf and vessel.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your fishing heavy weeds for fresh has I can definitely see braid!!!! But for most other fresh I see no reason to use braid.

Amotha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

150 yard spool of 832 10 or 15 pound test, then 10 pound mono backing how much depends on the reel, uni to uni connection....not so hard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: