CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Starting to Consider Braid....Need Recommendations Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aroz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insomnia11 wrote:
thanks for the offer fishfinder but you're about a week late!
got a delivery from bass pro shops yesterday....sixteen new lures! brings the total well past thirty in both tackle boxes!
what can i say..... i get bored late at night Laughing Laughing Laughing
i basically have six or so lures for each rod.if i like it i keep it.if i don't....it's buried in a bottom tray
the new lures are mostly poppers and are for an 8' and 11' rod for now.
i plan on getting a 9' or 10' soon.the 11' has great casting distance but is too heavy for plugging
got some COTTON CORDELL,OFFSHORE ANGLER LAZER EYE,BOMBER LONG A,CHUB CREEK and BASS PRO. weights between 3/4oz to 2 1/2 but mostly 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 for distance
the lighter lures from 1/8oz to 3/4oz(too numerous to name)i keep in the trunk of my town car with a 6' ugly stick with a battle 3000,10lb super slick 8.
i kill time playing with the lures down at CITI FIELD in queens.ZERO action right now but it beats sitting on my ass.... just getting fatter! Smile

Look into Daiwa SP (Salt Pro) Minnows. They cast like a dream and land plenty of stripers (although blues love them too). They are 1 oz and have ball bearings in them that shift inside the lure during the cast to give you max distance. If you buy them make sure to swap out the stock hooks as they are too light duty and any 30+ inch striper will straighten them out.
insomnia11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do aroz!
i should have one or two of them... or something close in a bottom tray from last year.
i've trimmed my list of rods down to a 9ft tica dolphin or a 9ft offshore angler power stick(1oz-5oz lures and 12lb-20lb)
already got two power sticks for chunks.. so i'm about a click away from getting the tica(1/2oz-3oz lures and 10-25lbs)
the tica seems to have the better range
not sure what test braid gonna put on the penn reel yet.
got some 15lb slick 8 laying around but i'm leaning towards getting some slick 8 20lb or maybe 30lb
you guys think 30lb is over the top???
i'm setting this up for 1oz-2 1/2oz lures
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rica dolphin is awesome, I have both the 1/2 to 3 and the 2to 6. Don't buy the cheaper ticas though as the guides suck on those and are very brittle!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
insomnia11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fishfinder!
you are correct, the older TC2 dolphin surf rods have bad guides.cabela's is trying to unload those rods for as little as $73!!
i bought the new tica 12ft TC3 X-HEAVY for shark fishing.it might've been a little overkill Shocked ... but i like the rod!
it looks like it could take down a great white! Laughing
i'll probably use the 15lb super 8 on a cheap daiwa reel for now.
i'm waiting for PENN to release the new spinfisher v long cast reels and fill one with 30lb test if need be
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the long cast reel? I know they are coming out with the bailess Spinfisher V but havent heard anything about a long cast. I can tell you 1 thing about the Spinfisher V's though, they arent waterproof like they say at all. I bought 2 and both after a few weeks in the surf started squealing so I took them apart and lubed them and sold one and the other is now my shore reel. I bought a Van Staal for my in water fishing and will never look back!

insomnia11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a certain class of spinfisherV with a taller(higher capacity) spool.
i was researching a reel for the TICA and bumped into a thread on a striper site.penn had prototypes of the bailless and long cast reels at trade shows this spring.both were to be released sept 2013 if i remember right
since it was the largest spinning reel out there with a bait runner,i bought a SSV8500LL
i wanted the SSV10500 but that class doesn't have live lining Sad
i've got it maxed out with 500yds of 65lb super 8 braid.
i'm starting to have some doubts about that reel.mixed reviews all over the place Confused
fishfinder,if it can't tame the jersey surf,i'll sell it to you cheap.
you can use it as a boat anchor!!!! frigging thing is huge and heavy!
LOL
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video I found on YouTube of the new for Fall 2013 bailless Spinfisher V

Link
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the heck would you want such a huge reel for shore fishing? I started out chunking and had a bait runner 8000 but when I switched to plugging I downsized reels as soon. As I could afford to do so!!!

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we're into the last few months of the surf season, I've decided to go back to Sufix Tritanium heavy duty copolymer mono.

Whether it be the wind knots at the Cape or knots from using topwaters in CT, braid put me through too much and didn't find the action much different from Tritanium.

Took the Pursuit 3000 that I had 20 pound braid on rigged onto my Aerial 8 footer and rigged it with Tritanium 10 pound test to put on one of my 7 footers.

Gonna sell a Sargus 4000 and Fierce 2000 to replace. 4000 was gonna get 30 pound braid but decided not to bother and just sell it to replace it with a 5000 model. 5000 model with have 17 pound Tritanium. The 2000 had 10 pound braid on it and eventually got down to 100 yards. Gonna sell the 2000 and replace it with a 3000 model. 3000 will have 10 pound Tritanium.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operator error! I've been using it for over 2 years and wouldn't trade it for any line. The only time I switch is dead of winter when the braid is freezing up.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out from a serious striper fisherman that he picked up 10 lb Spiderwire Stealth Braid while it was on sale for $7 a Walmart.

He already had the knots issue with Power Pro but once he started using the Stealth Braid with the same lures and setup, he was having no issues and got better casting distance.

I'm keeping an eye on Ebay
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday and Thursday while fishing the discharge I was casting with 10 pound Spiderwire Stealth Braid.

I am getting the casting distance I was originally expecting from a braided line, which didn't work out with Power Pro.

As long as I try and keep tension on the line and don't over spool the reel, Spiderwire Stealth gives me no knots. I was getting knots with Power Pro as if it had bad memory.

Smoother casting than Power Pro.

Approx $11 for a 125 yard spool on Ebay.

Can't wait to put 30 pound on my 8 footer to get those heavier topwaters and 1 ounce FLR-16 way out there.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really liked the regular power pro but I love the power pro slick 8!

Sea Duck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree FF...might as well use the $39/1000 yd generic....which I have used with no problems excepting lesser distance capability. The Slick 8 is nice for some more distance, it is a little easier to pick out a moderate wind knot, and does not ice up as quickly as the uncoated when being used in marginal temp's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the standard power pro is abrasive and can possibly wear grooves in your guides.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: