CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Starting to Consider Braid....Need Recommendations Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amotha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not use cheap braid all ur buying is a pita
Cd662

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like braid for smooth casting and for a guy like Mike that fishes almost exclusively with plugs and swimbaits of some nature, that works. I do a good deal more bait fishing so I stick to a lot more mono/flourocarbon. I think everyone else covered the important stuff Mike, braid occupies less space so you can fit more on a spool or, along the same train of thought, you can have a stronger pound test rating that is the same diameter as weaker monofilament.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening I got 2 tiny tangles with the 10 pound braid but was impressed with how easily I was able to get them undone vs mono.
Aroz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerpro slick 8 or Suffix 832 are both excellent braids that are thin and diameter, strong, and cast well.

BUT The thinnest braid i have used and it truly casts like a dream is the Daiwa Samurai braid. I believe the 30 pound diameter is (.25) which is unbelievably thin. You can really notice a difference when holding it next to PP slick 8, or the Suffix 832 (which are alredy thin to begin with!). I've only found two draw backs with the Daiwa line: 1) since it is that much thinner it does have a tendancy to cut easier if fished around rocks. However, if you throw it around the sand you should have no problems. 2) It is a little more $, but could be worth it to you if you are looking to get some more distance on your casts.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have tried a number of different braided lines and never liked the way it can collapse upon itself and tangle during casting.

I have been using Berkley NANOFIL (a single filament fused line) now for 1 1/2 years and love it.
Mostly in the 4 and 6 lb. test size.
The 12 lb. test NANOFIL (largest available) is equivalent to 7 lb. test Momo diameter and the NANOFIL is only 0.008 in diameter ...That's thin !
It is oval in shape, very slick, and casts incredibly far.
Here's the URL
www.berkley-fishing.com/line/nanofil

SeaDog1
insomnia11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey micheal
this might be a mute point this late in the game(i know you're using 10lb and 20lb power pro now) but i figured what the hell...you might step up to the heavier braid.
my using a mono shock leader for 10lb,20lb,40lb and 50lb power pro braid turned out so-so.
the albright knot,the uni knot and that special"BROOKLYN KNOT" didn't solve the hitting top guide problem i was having...PLUS i was losing distance bigtime!!!
the solution (that works for me)so far is to use 65LB test SUPER SLICK 8 as a shock leader and tie it uni to uni.
a little overkill on the 50lb....i never had any issues with wind knots and casting to begin with but i figured...what the hell..try it anyways!
very happy with 40lb power pro tied uni to uni with the 65lb super slick 8 !
i was down to about 100yds or so on the 40lb Crying or Very sad so i just refilled the penn fierce 5000 spool with about 50yds+ of the super slick!
i barely notice/hear the top guide problem anymore and no wind knots!best part is now i can cast the hell out of my 11' power stick and get great distance.
i no longer have to worry about braid failure Very Happy Very Happy
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braid as a leader is NOT a good idea! The main reason to use flour or mono as a leader is to resist abrasion and to aid in the fish not seeing the clearer line. Braid cuts very easy if rubbed on rocks or anything and that's pretty much what a striper does when it gets a hook in the corner of its mouth to try and get it out of its mouth. Plus if your fishing near jetty's or something you want to pick the fish up by the mono leader to prevent your hands from getting sliced up from the braid. A 2' or 3' mono 50 lb leader is what I would use and never reel into the guides.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
insomnia11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are absolutely right fishfinder.i learned that(expensive) lesson this spring fishing the bottom of the lower housatonic Crying or Very sad
i didn't want to get too long winded so i left parts out,but that's exact how i've got my three lighter(plugging) rods set up with 10lb,15lb and 20lb braid.
i was having issues with 40lb braid fraying and failing at a specific spot.lost a lot of lures and tackle
the short leader helped... but didn't solve my BIG problem.
that's when i tested very long leaders with different knots!
solved the "BIG" problem..but created two others...hitting the top guide and loss of distance.
canal rd in westport is not very deep.the bottom is very flat and all sand
at low tide you can walk out a quarter mile and only be in waist deep water
i'm not a waders kinda guy so it's all about casting distance!!!! MAXIMUM DISTANCE!!!! Smile
the braid leader is ok for long beach or canal rd.... but would be a disaster at say seaside,st.mary's or steamboat rd in greenwich
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What plugs are you throwing insom? I can recommend a few that throw very well!!!

insomnia11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer fishfinder but you're about a week late!
got a delivery from bass pro shops yesterday....sixteen new lures! brings the total well past thirty in both tackle boxes!
what can i say..... i get bored late at night Laughing Laughing Laughing
i basically have six or so lures for each rod.if i like it i keep it.if i don't....it's buried in a bottom tray
the new lures are mostly poppers and are for an 8' and 11' rod for now.
i plan on getting a 9' or 10' soon.the 11' has great casting distance but is too heavy for plugging
got some COTTON CORDELL,OFFSHORE ANGLER LAZER EYE,BOMBER LONG A,CHUB CREEK and BASS PRO. weights between 3/4oz to 2 1/2 but mostly 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 for distance
the lighter lures from 1/8oz to 3/4oz(too numerous to name)i keep in the trunk of my town car with a 6' ugly stick with a battle 3000,10lb super slick 8.
i kill time playing with the lures down at CITI FIELD in queens.ZERO action right now but it beats sitting on my ass.... just getting fatter! Smile
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Plugs Reply with quote

If you dont have 1 the Diawa Salt Pro and Yozuri Magdarter are the best casting swimmers out there. The Rebel Maverick doesnt have a magnet like the other 2 but throws pretty far also and is a very shallow swimmer which is typically a big problem trying to find a swimmer that doesnt dive much when fishing in the shallows that will also cast far.

dogfishhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aroz wrote:
Powerpro slick 8 or Suffix 832 are both excellent braids that are thin and diameter, strong, and cast well.

BUT The thinnest braid i have used and it truly casts like a dream is the Daiwa Samurai braid. I believe the 30 pound diameter is (.25) which is unbelievably thin. You can really notice a difference when holding it next to PP slick 8, or the Suffix 832 (which are alredy thin to begin with!).

I've also used the samurai braid and it is the thinest, strongest stuff out there. With that being said I actually have 50lb power pro slick on my saragosa right now but it is a little thicker than the samurai so a little more abrasion resistent but IMO both have their advantages so ya just gotta pick one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insomnia,

One Rapala I cast with that is a solid long casting balsa is the Flat Rap. If you were to hold it on the palm of your hand or squeeze it, you'd feel how solid it is for a balsa. It's a shallow diver.

The FLR-10 weighs 3/8 oz and the FLR-16 weighs 1 ounce. Have caught tons of blues, stripers, fluke, and sea robins with the FLR-10 and the FLR-16 caught me 6 stripers up to 30 1/2 inches on the Housy one evening last year.

The FLR-10 was the primary lure at Seaside during the fall striper run last year.
insomnia11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the imput guys!
no more guesstimating! Smile
i have reliable,tested and proven suggestions!
this is gonna make setting up that last (9-10ft)rod and reel for plugging the jersey surf so much easier!
i'm going to drive down to nj and check out their shark fishing next week or so.
i'm in no rush to go f**k myself up, so i'm trying to stay away from the night action for now and possibly hookup with some day guys at IBSP and LBI.
if the shark fishing sucks at least i'll have a nice setup to fish for stripers!
one of last year's mistakes micheal was, i started out trying to cast the FLR-8 and even worse.. FLR-6 size lures using 20lb braid, then moved down to 10lb
those 1/8-1/4oz lures were just too light.the line lay on the reels was just horrible!..and you know what happens when the line lay is that bad/loose! Laughing
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the FLR-8 and FLR-6 unless you're fishing for snappers with a trout setup. They're too light for the setup you were using, esp if you have a face wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: