CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Starting to Consider Braid....Need Recommendations Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Starting to Consider Braid....Need Recommendations Reply with quote

I've started to consider using braid by doing something I read online about, which is fill 3/4 of the reel with mono and then fill the rest with braid by tying them together.

I'd appreciate recommendations on brand names and models that could last 2 or 3 months and have reasonable prices for braid.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people fill 1/4 with mono and then braid as the rest. Thats done for 2 reasons really. reason 1 being to avoid using so much braid as some spools would require more then the 300 yards that most places only sell and second reason being that most reels arent designed for braid and if not the braid will slip on the spool. That can be remedied by lining your spool with a little electrical tape or with lining it with some mono backing. I use Powerpro slick 8 and love it. Have very little problems with it compared to other brands and have never broken off yet.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
fivestring

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Sufix performance braid. Inexpensive and works great. I have a spool of Sufix 832 I'm going to try next. More expensive. Good deals on braid to be found on eBay. I had my spool filled at River's End Tackle, and they put a dacron backing on the spool. The reasoning was if a big fish gets me into the backing and it's 20 pound mono, all of a sudden I go from 40 pound braid to 20 pound mono. Not good. My spool has 50 pound dacron backing, enough so that the spool is filled with 220 yards of 40 pound braid.
fivestring

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fishing this filling of line since October. I flipped it around this spring to use the brand new braid that I never casted.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Stren Sonic braid but i think they stopped making it. Had to switch over to Power Pro. If you used the clinch knot or improved clinch knot, you'll have to learn some new ones, as it doesn't hold well with most braids. I recommend polomar knot. I have about 200 yards of mono backing and 300 yards of 30lb PP on my card rods and 100 yards of 30lb mono backing and 300 yards of 40 and 50lb sonic braid on my chunkin rods. Think this is the third season I'm using the sonic braid... colors faded but the strength is still there. You only need 20 yards of backing to get it to not slip, but i put on enough to push the spool of braid as far out as i can on the reel spool. Makes for further casts when its as close to the edge as you can.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
I use Powerpro slick 8 and love it. Have very little problems with it compared to other brands and have never broken off yet.

I also really like PowerPro Super 8 Slick, but it's relatively expensive.

fivestring wrote:
I've been fishing this filling of line since October. I flipped it around this spring to use the brand new braid that I never casted.

I love that trick of spooling braid from one reel to another, which puts the used line on the inside of the spool and the unused braid on the outside.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are a rapala fiend so...... SUFIX !!!
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinSolak wrote:
If you used the clinch knot or improved clinch knot, you'll have to learn some new ones, as it doesn't hold well with most braids.

With PowerPro 50lb Braid I have never had a problem using the clinch knot. Not saying there aren't better ones potentially, but it has been just fine for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palomar Knot every time
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANIMAL wrote:
Palomar Knot every time

Ditto.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto again on palomar. I buy 1500 yard spools of 30 & 50 lb slick 8 on Ebay gor $115 shipped.

fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto again on palomar. I buy 1500 yard spools of 30 & 50 lb slick 8 on Ebay gor $115 shipped.

avidangler

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fivestring wrote:
I like the Sufix performance braid. Inexpensive and works great. I have a spool of Sufix 832 I'm going to try next. More expensive. Good deals on braid to be found on eBay. I had my spool filled at River's End Tackle, and they put a dacron backing on the spool. The reasoning was if a big fish gets me into the backing and it's 20 pound mono, all of a sudden I go from 40 pound braid to 20 pound mono. Not good. My spool has 50 pound dacron backing, enough so that the spool is filled with 220 yards of 40 pound braid.

I use the Suffix 832 myself. When it wears down those gore fibers hold your line together with remarkable strength.I was very impressed by the amount of abuse it can handle compared to even the other suffix choices.The slick 8 is my second choice until they infuse that with gore fibers.
As for backing 100 feet of 80 lb flourocarbon on 1 reel (bait caster)and NO BACKING on the other(spinning) just,wrapped tape around the reel before spooling.I have had no problem with the line slipping on either set up.
I spool on a full 300 yrds.Both reels.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
angry john

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sufix performance braid is the best bang for the buck. I dont use any backing, but some do. I get sonic braid on epay and its ok, but when i used SS8 in 20lb it has some longevity issues. SS8 is super soft and i get more wind knots with it than any other. The gore fiber does not do a lot as seen in the tackle tour reviews. I like 832 after its broken in. You can get the regular power pro super cheap on epay, so i would recomend that as a first braid, and it cuts kelp and weeds like a chainsaw. It also makes a lot more noise in the guides than those with more weaves. Choosing braid is like any other line and people love different ones for there own reason.

here is one of there reviews and theres a ton of other line info in the line section
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpremiumbraidroundup.html
Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at one of my Sargus 4000 reels to find it saying it can hold 275 yards of 20 pound braid.

If I were to get a 150 yard spool of Power Pro or Suffix, would I be good with spooling that 150 yards after spooling 100 yards of equivalent mono?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: